Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Good Cop, Bad Cop

Good Cop: Barack Obama
Bad Cop: Rev. Jeremiah Wright

I could be wrong. Or maybe I've become a conspiracy theorist. It just seems to me that the interplay between Barack Obama and his pastor (excuse me - make that former pastor) could possibly be one of the smartest and riskiest political ploys ever.

While the commentators I've heard on the radio and television are busy talking about Reverend Wright's treacherous undermining of Obama's campaign, I'm thinking to myself that this may be a devious and clever plot between the two of them. You know, the "wink, wink, nod, nod" type of plot.

Think about it a minute. Reverend Wright gets to continue his outrageous anti-American rhetoric, enjoying every minute of his brush with fame. Meanwhile, Barack Obama gets to simultaneously condemn and excuse his old friend. While Obama is reaping the benefits of taking the conciliatory middle road, Obama's core message (and life's work) is still given more media attention than money can buy.

OK, I could be wrong about this. Or maybe I've watched too many episodes of Law and Order, but this is a scenario that makes a lot of sense to me.

No comments: